Back-To-Back Hazardous Materials Incidents at Four Seasons Clubhouse

One woman was injured by exposure to toxic fumes from a swimming pool mechanical room chemical leak — followed by another similar hazardous materials incident — on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at the Four Seasons Clubhouse located at 68 Huntington Drive in Jackson.  Station 54 was dispatched to a haz mat incident following a call to 911 reporting the leak at around 1:30 p.m. On arrival, Jackson Mills Deputy Chief Mike Lubertazzi 5410 requested Station 55 and Hazardous Materials teams from Berkeley Township and the Southard Fire Department.  The resulting process of mitigating the chemical leak and residue took several hours.  Three other people that were in the building at the time of the leak were checked on the scene by Quality EMS.  The injured woman who suffered burns to her esophagus was transported to Centra State Hospital where she was treated and released.  As crews were in the process of returning from the original incident, at just past 4:30 p.m., two pool maintenance company employees on premises were attempting to clean up the residue from the leak, when a second toxic cloud formed from a small chemical fire on the floor inside the mechanical room.  Chief Lubertazzi requested all the original responders to the scene, bringing the two Haz Mat teams, Station 54 and 55 back.  At the second incident, an initial report of a missing person in the building resulted in five Jackson Mills fire fighters entering the fume-filled building for the purposes of a primary search, which proved negative.  All five personnel were in full personal protective equipment and wearing self-contained breathing apparatus.  They were immediately decontaminated after exiting the building with no injuries. The hazardous materials teams operated inside the building in full Level A suits for several hours and completed their operations at 7:00 p.m.

Other responding agencies included: Quality EMS; Howell Township Rescue Squad; Jackson First Aid Squad; Jackson Police Department; Ocean County Department of Health; NJ Department of Environmental Protection; Jackson Office of Emergency Management; Ocean County Fire Coordinator Car 14; and the Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The incident was finally cleared for good this time just past 10:30 p.m.