A natural gas leak inside a single-family residence on Dogwood Drive resulted in the evacuation of almost a dozen homes in Jackson Saturday afternoon, November 10, 2012. No one was home at the time of the incident. Fire department personnel were called to the home at 1:16 p.m. by a representative of NJ Natural Gas Co. already on scene who advised arriving fire fighters that the home was full of gas, and that a serious gas leak was still in progress. Station 55 Fire Chief Tim Carson stated “we used every precaution to lower the levels of gas in the house in a controlled, safe manner that included having JCP&L cut power to the neighborhood to reduce the risk of an explosion.” Fire fighters and the gas company representative found that an uncapped gas line had been turned on in the basement resulting in a free flow of gas into the structure. The ventilation process took almost five hours to complete. There were no injuries. The Jackson Police Department is investigating the circumstances that led to the leak.