Stove Top Fire Damages Kitchen of Gomberg Avenue Home
A Gomberg Avenue home was damaged by a fire that started on a stove top range on Wednesday evening, May 25, 2011. Firefighters from the Jackson Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 Station 55 were in the process of a training drill at the main fire station less than one mile from the home when the fire occurred. Station 55 fire crews quickly picked up from the drill and responded to the fire. As per standard protocol for a structure fire in the township, two fire companies were dispatched, in this case Station 55 and the Jackson Mills Fire Company Station 54. Chief Timothy J. Carson 5500 and Assistant Chief Mike Waters 5510 were the first to arrive. Fire Command was established and Engine 5541, Engine 5521, and Rescue 5503 were on the scene in minutes. Jackson Mills Engine 5411 stood by at the nearby hydrant position for water supply if needed.
The fire was confined to the stove, an overhead range vent/fan unit, and the adjacent kitchen cabinets. Firefighters from Stations 55 and 54 checked the entire kitchen for fire extension and any other heat damage. Fire crews remained on the scene for about 30 minutes clearing the home of the smoke and also carbon monoxide which is produced by fires.
Jackson Mills Fire Official John Burmeister 18407 responded to the scene for the fire investigation. The Jackson First Aid Squad and Jackson Police Department also responded. There were no injuries.
Firefighters Advance Hose Lines Into Structure -- Photo Courtesy Dave Weiskopf
A wind-driven, two-alarm fire caused by lightning resulted in substantial damage to a two-story Merion Lane home located in the Westlake section of Jackson late Saturday night, April 16. Two houses located immediately next to the home struck received minor damage from the adjacent fire. The fire occurred as a strong storm brought heavy rain and numerous lightning strikes to the area. There were no injuries sustained to firefighters or residents during the incident.
Firefighters from Jackson Fire Company Station 55 responded to the fire just prior to eleven o’clock p.m. Chief Timothy J. Carson reported on his arrival that the fire was through the roof, requesting a second alarm. Firefighters searched the home immediately after arriving to make certain that everyone was safely evacuated and began an aggressive hose-line attack to limit the damage. Assistance was provided by the Whitesville Fire Company Station 57, Jackson Mills Fire Company Station 54 and Cassville Station 56, and the Howell Township Freewood Acres Fire Company. “We had an extensive volume of fire from the original house, with a serious fire exposure problem which was a real challenge due to high winds. And, due to the fire department’s rapid application of a large volume of water, the heavy fire condition was knocked down quickly, and other than melted vinyl siding, there was no structural damage to the homes next door” stated Chief Carson. Stand-by coverage for the Jackson stations during the fire was provided by the Howell Township Southard and Lakewood Fire Departments.
The Jackson First Aid, Jackson Police Department, Jackson Fire District 3 Fire Official and Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office also responded to the scene.
A Jackson Volunteer First Aid Squad 22 ambulance (with emergency lights on) was transporting an 87-year old woman trauma patient to a local hospital when it was struck head-on at approximately 11:48 p.m. Saturday June 12, 2010 by a 27 year-old motorcyclist driving a 1992 Harley Davidson.
Fortunately, the ambulance driver was wearing his seat belt, and driving a rig equipped with a front air bag that deployed, and managed to avoid injuries to his on-board patient and crew. The cyclist crossed the double yellow center line on a sloping downhill curved section of North Hope Chapel Road in Jackson, veering into the path of the on-coming ambulance. The 22 year-old driver of the Squad’s ambulance — Shane O’Brien — who is also a volunteer firefighter with the Jackson Mills Volunteer Fire Company Station 54 and son of one of their past chiefs — is credited with preventing further injuries by his calm decision-making keeping the ambulance under control and upright, despite the fact that the force of the impact sheared off the drivers side front wheel and suspension assembly.
The driver of the ambulance and a Squad Cadet riding in the rear of the ambulance were wearing seat-belts and were uninjured. An EMT providing care to the patient in the back of the ambulance suffered a few bumps and bruises but was otherwise unhurt. Immediately after the impact, even though the ambulance’s drivers side door jammed shut, the crew exited their vehicle and began providing aid to the injured motorcyclist. The incident commander was Jackson Vol. Fire Company No.1 Station 55 Chief Michael Fatovic. Initial assistance at the scene was also provided by Jackson Station 55 Assistant Chief Tim Carson, Jackson Township Fire District 3 off-duty career firefighter/EMT Jay Zimmerman, and Jackson First Aid Squad member EMT Sharon Brown — each arriving shortly after call dispatch.
First Aid Squad 22 Captain Al Cuciero also responded to the scene. The original woman patient in the ambulance did not suffer any further injury from the crash, and was transferred to another ambulance to continue her trip to a local hospital. The front airbag did deploy on the 2007 model year ambulance. The operator of the motorcycle suffered severe injuries, and due to weather conditions preventing two med-evac helicopters from flying, was transported via ground to the trauma center at Jersey Shore University Medical Center by another Jackson First Aid Squad ambulance, with paramedics from the MON-OC Hospital Corporation on board.
The motorcycle driver was pronounced dead after arrival at the Medical Center. The Jackson Township Station 55 assisted at the scene, as well as the Jackson Police Department and Quality Medical Care Ambulance Service. The Whitesville Fire Company Station 57 was also dispatched in the event of the need for a helicopter landing zone, however that was canceled. A full news report is available at Asbury Park Press Online.