Tag: jackson police department

Nine Affected By Fumes At County Line Road Shopping Center Store

Tower/Ladder 5505 Provides Roof Access to Determine Cause of Gasoline Fumes

On Saturday morning June 18, 2011 nine persons inside of Just Your Style Salon located at 2275 West County Line Road were affected by fumes from gasoline being used improperly by roofers at the Bennetts Mills Shopping Center.  Jackson Station 55 and Jackson Mills Station 54 were dispatched to that address at 11:33 a.m. Saturday for a gas leak.  On arrival, Incident Commander Assistant Chief Mike Waters 5510 was met by a strong odor of gasoline, and was advised by personnel inside of the hair salon that they were not feeling well due to the adverse effects of exposure to gasoline fumes from roofers using the flammable liquid overhead.  Firefighting crews on Tower Ladder 5505, Engine 5541, Rescue 5503, Engine 5411 helped search each store and confirm that no explosive levels of fumes existed, and Chief Tim Carson 5500, Jackson Mills Assistant Chief Mike Lubertazzi 5410 and Jackson Mills Chief Bob Haskins 5400 each assisted Incident Command in the safe resolution of the emergency.

Station 55 and 54 firefighters immediately evacuated the salon and also utilized Tower Ladder 5505 to gain quick access to the roof.  Crews from 5505 encountered a number of commercial roofers on top of the structure using over 30 gallons of gasoline on the roof near the heating/air conditioning ventilation system (HVAC) as well as having gas-soaked rags strewn across the roof.  Roofers were using gasoline to help clean the rubber membrane of the roof, contrary to manufacturer recommendations and requirements for safe use of commercial roofing cleaners.  A representative from the Ocean County Fire Marshals Office helped document the hazard, while Jackson Police Department officers assisted firefighters in securing the hazards and assisting EMS staff in assessing the patients.

Rescue 5503 and crew served as a mass triage unit helping Quality EMS medical staff in assessing the employees and patrons of the salon.  Additional EMT’s were dispatched to the scene from Quality EMS and Jackson Mills Fire Company/District 4 staff.  A total of nine females were checked by EMT’s.  None required transport to the hospital.

Chief Tim Carson stated “unapproved use of flammable liquid gasoline as a solvent for roof maintenance could have resulted in a much worse outcome that includes the risk of explosion and fire — not to mention exposure to hazardous fumes”.

Stations 55 and 54 cleared the scene almost two hours later at 1:30 p.m.


Jackson Fire Caused by Lightning — Westlake Home Suffers Substantial Damage

Firefighters Advance Hose Lines Into Structure -- Photo Courtesy Dave Weiskopf

A wind-driven, two-alarm fire caused by lightning resulted in substantial damage to a two-story Merion Lane home located in the Westlake section of Jackson late Saturday night, April 16.  Two houses located immediately next to the home struck received minor damage from the adjacent fire.  The fire occurred as a strong storm brought heavy rain and numerous lightning strikes to the area.  There were no injuries sustained to firefighters or residents during the incident.

Firefighters from Jackson Fire Company Station 55 responded to the fire just prior to eleven o’clock p.m. Chief Timothy J. Carson reported on his arrival that the fire was through the roof, requesting a second alarm.  Firefighters searched the home immediately after arriving to make certain that everyone was safely evacuated and began an aggressive hose-line attack to limit the damage.   Assistance was provided by the Whitesville Fire Company Station 57, Jackson Mills Fire Company Station 54 and Cassville Station 56, and the Howell Township Freewood Acres Fire Company.  “We had an extensive volume of fire from the original house, with a serious fire exposure problem which was a real challenge due to high winds.  And, due to the fire department’s rapid application of a large volume of water, the heavy fire condition was knocked down quickly, and other than melted vinyl siding, there was no structural damage to the homes next door” stated Chief Carson.   Stand-by coverage for the Jackson stations during the fire was provided by the Howell Township Southard and Lakewood Fire Departments.

The Jackson First Aid, Jackson Police Department, Jackson Fire District 3 Fire Official and Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office also responded to the scene.


Copyright © 1996-2010 Welcome to Jackson Station 55. All rights reserved.
iDream theme by Templates Next | Powered by WordPress